Tuesday, May 02, 2006

gruel: it's what's for breakfast

This is day #2 of oatmeal for breakfast. I'm trying to be a compliant little nurse on this low Iodine diet... and I can't really think of a good reason why I've never embraced oatmeal.

It looks like gruel. It tastes like gruel. It bubbles on the stovetop like gruel. It's oatmeal, not gruel, but it looks like what the old movies want you to think they served orphans: gruel.

I'm not even sure why I like to eat grits for breakfast, truth be known. In college I'd mix a package of grits with a lipton chicken soup packet, make them really thick, and spread the yellow goodness on crackers. And then I didn't eat them for years, until I started getting them for breakfast again, sans soup.

The consistancy throws me off. Oatmeal kindof slides around in your mouth like shrimp. It gooshes around your teeth and swims to the back of your throat. It's slick and gritty at the same time. And did I mention it looks like gruel?

I think I can make this love-hate relationship work for a couple of more weeks. It's nothing a drip of olive oil and Mrs. Dash can't fix. And although I can't use chocolate syrup or the hot chocolate mix, I do have some cocoa and splenda if I need a special morning concoction.

Grits: 1
Oatmeal: 0

6 comments:

Kate Mc said...

Maple syrup?
Fruit?
Cinnamon?
Raisins?
All things I've had in instant oatmeal packages as 'flavours' - but don't know if they work with your iodine issues...

the count said...

Hey, does this mean that we can't eat dinner out at all during the next 6 weeks? If so, that sucks. BTW I've actually posted again and I'm going to try and do it more often now that life isn't so busy.

Anonymous said...

Try steel cut oats and cook them in some apple juice or cider (if your diet allows). You'll never have that other kind again. Meaning rolled oats. And stay away from instant oatmeal. It's just nasty.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with the Quaker Man, G. I actually LOVE me some oatmeal. In fact, anything involving grains is usually my friend...but I'm weird that way. ;)

UnsinkableMB said...

I'm definitely not a fan of Quaker Oats. I only buy it to make my oatmeal-butterscotch chip-chocolate chip cookies! The steel cut oats are so much better. They're not mushy and I am stuffed on a small bowl. Check it out...

Unequivocal_Prowess said...

I don't know what freaks me out-how horrible your description of oats is or the fact that you are wishing for grits as a substitute! yick!