Tuesday, October 11, 2005

consistency of grits

I like grits. I eat instant grits for breakfast every morning that I have to wake up and go to work... with a little butter and a little pepper. Yummy in the tummy, and it sticks with me better than anything else I've tried. With my job I don't always get to eat lunch, and usually it's at least six hours after I've eaten breakfast before I get a chance to nibble.

Well, this morning I put more milk in my grits than I usually do. So they were soupier. Not as soupy as Shoney's Breakfast Bar grits. This made me wonder how other grit-eaters like the consistency of their grits.

(Yes, Mother, I use skim milk to mix my grits now, but I don't put it in anything else. And, yes, I'm still taking calcium supplements. And, yes, I know that milk is good for me. But I still think it takes like ick and smells worse.)

I like my grits on the thicker side. I don't want them to drip off of my spoon. I like it when they clump in the bowl.

But today it was thick enough to stay on the spoon and still be stirred. It was a nice change.

I don't like drippy grits that ooze. I don't think grits should be able to be consumed through a straw. Not my kind of consistency.

And don't put cheese in mine; there's no sense in ruining a good bowl of grits. Mom used to make a big cheese grit casserole for Christmas morning. Everybody seemed to like it. Sad, I think. I happily played in my little separate, but superior bowl of my fancy Christmas morning plain jane grits.

And now every morning is like Christmas morning if it's a grit morning. Except I have to go to work. And there's no presents to open.

Uglyhomans don't get the grit phenomenon. Do you?

How do you like the consistency of your grits?

2 comments:

genderist said...

I am very disappointed that nobody else had a grit story to share.

Where's the love?

bad-journalist.blogspot.com said...

Sorry, but I just can't get on the grits train. Not enough Tennessee in me. Dreadfully sorry.