I'm sitting on some news and I can just hardly stand it anymore. I wanted to have the full story before I shared, but I don't know when I'll have the rest of it. Like everything else, we'll just have to fake it as we bumble along.
Do you remember last week when I saw the new endocrinologist? On a whim we drew another tumor marker (thyroglobulin) just to see what it was doing before we treated with another radioactive Iodine treatment. The office called me yesterday to say that it was down from 5.6 to 2.4 ! I'm so excited that it's going down.
But that's where my good news ends. I don't know what the plan will be:
* Do we continue and treat since 2.4 isn't zero?
* Do we wait and see if it either continues to go down?
* Do we do a PET/CT and let that influence our decision?
* Do we just plan to stay on the Synthroid and do a Thyrogen-induced WBS?
* Do our ears hang low and wobble to-and-fro?
I hope to hear from them today.
I spent over an hour yesterday trying to research what the next step will be, but was unable to find a nice, clear algorithm that said if your thyroglobulin is X then you do Y. Apparently Tg is a touchy subject, and they won't even give a set range of good to bad because each separate lab has their own range based on their testing procedures. So I really don't know what to expect.
They asked me what I wanted to do, which I thought was a nice professional gesture. I deferred to the white jacket and told them I'd do whatever the doctor thought was best. If we know it's working and want to treat a suppressed 2.4 vs an unsuppressed 2.4 I'm game. At least we know the RAI is still working.
That's the extent of my news this morning. I have meetings all day long today, which should be a good diversion. It's nice how that works out sometimes.
1 day ago