Monday, December 05, 2005

pirates ---arrrrrgh

I had a crazy dream last night. This is par for the course, but last night I dreamed that I was a pirate. There wasn't actually any looting or pilaging, but I was on a big boat and people around me said arrrrrgh a lot, so context clues point to piracy.

There was a bad ghost who kept trying to kill people. I got away a couple of times. He had the whole skull with rotting flesh going for him, a Mary Kay nightmare. He had a knife and would hold it in his teeth when he was climbing on the ship, so it makes sense to me that he was a pirate, too. Why he was mad at us is beyond me, but we must've done something bad enough that he wanted to kill all of us.

Arrrrrrgh. And, no, before you ask, Captain Hook did not make a cameo.

Now you might think that this has some deep-rooted meaning, but I'm pretty sure that this dream was brought to me by watching an old X-Files before I went to bed. No, no pirates, but there were some very attractive demons. Where the boat or piracy comes from is beyond me.

Back in the day when I was on the debate team I remember there was an affirmative case about pirates in Southeast Asia, and other than thinking it was very amusing to defend pirates, I don't think about them much. They're hardly a threat when you live in Uglyhoma. (We ran AWACS and P3s instead.) This is also the same year that a bunch of the novices wrote the KY counterplan, as in KY jelly, not Kentucky, and the Niceness Critique.

So those are mostly my pirate-type memories. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me to dream about pirates. So I went to this webpage that has a dream interpreter, and this is what it said regarding dreaming about pirates:

To see a pirate in your dream, signifies that some person or situation is adding chaos to your emotional life. You may feel that someone has violated your integrity or creativity. Alternatively, the pirate may symbolize freedom and one who defies authority. You may have desires to explore new adventures and take riskier ventures.

So maybe I should quit being a nurse and become a pirate. Seems risky to me. Arrrrrgh.

And I've always had chase dreams, which according to the site means that I'm avoiding a primal urge or fear. The knife section isn't really clear on interpretation, but I imagine it doesn't have anything to do with teddy bears or buttercups.

What's the craziest dream you've had? Although this one was odd, I've had crazier...

PS-- If you haven't already, please vote for this blog here.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

So THAT'S what chasing dreams signify? I have them all the time. I'm always running from something and hiding somewhere. Now I know I harbor some innate fear of...something.

Wow, what a load off.

bad-journalist.blogspot.com said...

Oh, wow! I remember the Niceness Critique! Fun, fun, fun.

But the "Bert is Evil" disad was king.

Unequivocal_Prowess said...

I don't know that anything could top off the disad that says that aliens are hiding WMD's under the ground in Iraq, which is the real reason we are fighting Iraq...

BTW, there is still a pirating problem in Kenya and Somalia. I just pulled an article on it last week.

CarpeDM said...

My favorite pirate is Steve the Pirate from Dodgeball (even more than Johnny Depp which is just crazy).

I've had some pretty crazy dreams but nothing leaps to mind right now. Your dream made me laugh.