Sunday, October 02, 2005

redlight run-about

It's been an interesting day.

This morning I finished the book I was reading. It was much sadder than I had thought it would be, which surprised me. The Hater made some such comment about 'what do you expect from a book on cancer.' He's a pessimist.

He had called to relay the drama from the City of Lies. I pick him up from the airport tomorrow.

I watched a little tv. I wasn't ready to jump back into more work-related reading. Instead I watched some saved Angel episodes and a bad movie on the in-demand chanel.

By the time that was over I was bored. I played with the cat for a while before deciding to play with the wood burner...

I'd had a vision about the wood burner, and I really wanted this project to be good, not hokey. So I worked on it for the better part of the afternoon. This made the apartment smell like burned wood. Not knowing how to make it go away, I lit some candels. So now it smells like burned wood with a hint of clean linen after the rain.

Then came the varnish. Cherry varnish, no less. I donned some laytex gloves and painted my project, dabbed, then painted and dabbed some more. This made the apartment smell like burned wood with a hint of clean linen after the rain and jet engine fuel.

I have to wait eight hours before I can polyurathane them, which means it'll be tomorrow night before I can really play agian. By then The Hater can come home and decide if it's worthy of keeping or trashing.

I hope the apartment smells better by then. There's no doubt that this is the reason why I have a slight headache.

But all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy... So whaddaya do?

Meanwhile, I realize that because I had to work Saturday morning, I totally forgot about going to the bank Saturday morning to roll over the 401K into the IRA. When I told The Hater this over the phone he said the exact same ugly word that I said when I realized it. We have a psychic connection that way.

I'd called my boss to ask if I could come in late. She sighed, but said that would be okay. I just looked online and they don't open to later than I realized, so I guess I'll be on time to work. The Hater says we can do it this weekend and still not be penalized, but it'll be super gaggy if we miss the date and have to pay even more taxes to King George.

My last bit of excitement is that I'm going to stop taking oral birth contorl pills. The Hater says not to worry about the last month's supply in the kitchen, so I'm off the hormones. I've been taking them for a while, and I don't really remember my 'warning signs' that I was about to start-- so now I have this fear that I'll be out somewhere and bleed all over myself without notice.

Way more realistic than the dream where you're giving a lecture - naked.

No comments: