Thursday, February 09, 2006

free advice

My very good friend gave me one of the best pieces of advice when I was in nursing school... I had called him and was all upset about The Hater being here, him being in California, school was hard, woe is me, etc.... I cried almost every night that I was in nursing school and plan on dedicating at least the first 78 gray hairs to the MTSU School of Nursing faculty. After that I have some ideas about which gray hair have earned special distinction, but I have not assigned any blame as of yet.

And during that special phone call he said something that was so very moving to me that I wrote it on a post-it note and put it on the inside of my door, so that I would see it every time I left my dorm room - and every time I returned. Actually, I think that same post-it is in one of my picture albums now... without further aideu, this is what he said:

"You are not a rock, and that's okay."

It's okay to question what you want in life, it's okay to be frustrated with your current work milieu, it's okay to be afraid of change, it's okay to sleep on other people's couches. It's okay.

That's your free advice for today. My friend is a genius.

This was the very first quote that started my special quote board that stayed up the whole time that I was in nursing school... other special quotes included:

"Your farts sing."
and
"My Sister is skinny, smart and beautiful."

2 comments:

Nicole said...

That was PERFECTLY timed, Genderist!

Lately I've been stressing over whether I should pursue a job transfer in another state. I've been beating myself up over my inability to make a decision about it. But you're right. There's lots of ramifications of a move like this so it doesn't make any sense to rush into it.

Kate Mc said...

Cheers, mate.