Friday, November 04, 2005

CEU madness

Last night I went to a fancy restaurant in Edmond called Boulevard Steakhouse. It's snazzy to the T. I was going for a lecture on non small-cell lung cancer.

My coworker and I were there early. We caught some good seats that wouldn't be bumped frequently by the waitstaff and where we could see the presentation. There was a pre-test that made me laugh. It was totally written for a MD -- with case scenarios followed by questions regarding what treatment therapy *I* would choose for them. I wanted to write in the margins what I knew about the different therapies instead, but I didn't. This presentation was obviously going to be geared towards the doctor crowd.

Which means it would be approximately 2 light years over my head.

The speaker's flight was delayed. So we ate. My steak was fantastic.

We waited. And waited. And waited. Now he was over an hour late to begin an hour + lecture on something I knew was going to be hard to digest.

Then he came in -- and for a brief moment I recognized him. When he started talking I *KNEW* I had heard him speak before. I looked over to a coworker, who didn't recoginize him yet. I looked at the slide presentation I had --- and had to cover my mouth so that I didn't laugh during his presentation. His presentation that I had heard before.

I looked across the room and recognized lots of people --- who I had sat close to at the previous presentation. Only they didn't look as amused as I did.

I wrote a note to my coworker -- she said it wasn't the same presentation.

Then he started telling the same jokes.

And she looked at me. It was deja-vu all over again.

Then she passed a note --- "If we've heard this before, then why were we not able to complete the pre-test?"

I can only imagine that it's because we were eating during the presentation last time. That, or it was 3 light years over my head then...

... and look how far I've come... approximately 9.4605284 × 10^15 meters closer to being able to choose the correct chemotherapy regime. That's something to write home about.

No comments: