Wednesday, June 09, 2010

up on the rooftop, reindeer paws

Not exactly reindeer paws, but the first of many roofing companies doing recon on the roof and quoting us a price. He said our neighborhood was the worst roofs he's seen in town, and that our roof was the second worst he's seen overall after this storm.

Apparently there are a myriad roofing defects - something about not enough vent boxes on the roof. He says that made them hotter, which made them break more. Also, he says that when they laid our shingles they put them straight down onto the plywood without the tar paper (or whatever the black lining thing is called).

It'll be interesting to see if the next roofers say the same thing.

The insurance guy comes to see the roof on Saturday. More on this story as it develops.

5 comments:

Neff Family said...

Oh man, I am soooo glad we don't have to deal with that stuff. Instead, we get minor flooding and the occassional snow-in. Oh, and yearly draughts. Whenever we have a really bad storm, I think, "The poor mid-west is really gonna get it." I hope your new roof is super powered with hail-proof shingles and lots of little knomes with bats...you know, so they can knock 'em outta the park. Oh dear, it's late...

Anonymous said...

I don't know about that. I know technology changes, theories change, we learn new stuff but that don't sound kosher to me. Before any work started I'd want to asked the building inspector about that, particularly unless the firm was a long time business member of the community. If no, I'd call the better business bureau to see if these people had a reputation. Just my opinion and it's worth about as much as it cost. Good luck to you.

Anonymous said...

You can always hire Jamie's team to come lay shingles - if they are willing to drive that far. Doubtful . . .
~Sister~

Neff Family said...

I got the book! I'm so so excited. Thank you so much!

I also love your advice about the hitting. We're going to do it this Sunday in front of "the hitter". My husband keeps saying, "How can we help 'the hitter' succeed?" I want to shout back, "By cutting off his arms!" Haha!

Thanks again for the book and the note <3

Cerulean Bill said...

Roofing contractors are mysterious folks. You really have no idea if they're doing it right -- not to mention, as Bill points out, that 'right' changes over time. I will say that that underlayment thing sounds right to me - though, of course, I'm totally unqualified to comment on it!