Sunday, April 29, 2007

viva la vie

I had a fantastic trip visiting Angry Dissenter in Vegas. The convention was okay, too, but the hilight of my trip was hanging out with my best friend and Odie the dog and NotGerald. Work can pay me to go on a trip with my friends any time.

I'm doing laundry and was just checking my email (with about one hundred messages to delete). Among other things I had a post-survey from the hotel where I stayed. It wasn't a bad stay or hotel, but one thing really rubbed me the wrong way. So much so that I told them what I thought about it during the last open-ended question about what they could have done to make my stay better. Here's my response:

*****
I know that it's a trend for hotels to suggest that its patrons not request new linen or towels due to energy conservation, and I do appreciate the water issues currently going on in Nevada. However, I have major problems with asking this of your patrons while none of the light bulbs in my room were energy efficient bulbs. Your grounds were beautiful, but if the hotel is sincerely concerned about the drought, is all the green necessary? How much energy does the light on top of the pyramid consume each night (you know, the one that can be seen from space)? I don't expect any hotel in Vegas to make great green strides, much less the Luxor, but I beg to ask what attempts the hotel is making to conserve energy other than asking its paying patrons to do it for them.

In terms of the big picture and lack of obvious attempts for energy conservation, I was offended by the card left in my bathroom that intended to make me feel guilty for wanting clean towels on my vacation. In my book, Luxor has been awarded two points for being tacky.
*****

Do I think this will make a difference? No.
Do I think it will make it past the two people whose jobs are to go through the surveys? No way.
Do I think anyone else has ever mentioned it in a post-stay questionaire? Possibly.
Do I think they will suddenly see the error in their ways and convert everything over to more Earth-friendly options? Highly doubful. In fact, I'd be more likely to put my savings on black and let it ride before they turned off the BIG light. And, honey, that ain't about to happen.
Do I feel better about my response, even knowing that nothing will be done about it? Yes; that's what they get for asking my opinion.

We really like the energy-efficient bulbs.

We went by the house today to see how it was coming along. The correct brick is stacked in the yard on several plats around the house. Inside, the walls have gotten their first coats of paint. It's starting to look like a real house; we're excited about moving this summer.

The Hater says I have to be finished typing so that I can come sit with him for a while before bed. I think it's safe to say that both he and Zoloft missed me. It's good to be back.

3 comments:

Arielle said...

Glad you had a fun trip. Your comment card is awesome. I think you make a very valid point. I will write the same thing if I ever stay there. And I will suggest to my manager at the hotel to put in those new light bulbs now.

Cerulean Bill said...

I wonder if any of those hotels advertise how wonderful their xeriscaping is?

Cynthia said...

Glad you had a great trip. That irritates me too about the clean linens card. If they provided more places for you to hang your wet towel it wouldn't bug me as bad. Crazy corporate world!