Wednesday, August 31, 2005

more on Katrina-

I'm feeling some guilt today. When The Hater and I moved to Oklahoma I searched for more information about the Oklahoma Medical Reserve Corp. It's a group of medical-people who deploy from Oklahoma to national disasters as needed. I ended up sending them my information, but not going to the introduction meeting because it was a drive away. And I was new to the whole "just take the turnpike" thing. And new to the Oklahoma thing. And I was worried about getting lost and asking for directions. (This was in the days before I had a cell phone and became a "city girl".)

I told The Hater this morning that if I had been part of the MRC, I would have already been called to come help. ... And this evening I'm checking my junk mail before I delete it, and they've called me anyway in a letter to available doctors and nurses.

If I was still at the other job, I'd have all kinds of PTO I could use to take time off and go help. But I've not even been paid yet at the new job, much less acrued hours to leave work. So I e-mailed her and said I would be able to take a long weekend, if needed. We'll just have to see.

And then within twenty minutes, she replied that I'd be put on the list. And she didn't know yet when they would start sending medical help.

But from the pictures I've seen on CNN, I'm thinking they're not ready for medical help yet. It looks like they're still in the saving people and draining water stages. And I'm wondering why I've not seen some good-ole-boys in their fishing boats pulling people off of their roofs. The Hater says that he heard on NPR that people are doing just that. So kudos for them. Keep on keeping on.

So I don't really know anything else other than that I'm on a list.

The Middle Tennessee MRC and University of Tennessee Knoxville MRC are no doubt looking for nurses and doctors, too. So if you're feeling that Volunteer call, those places would probably like to hear from you.

Gas is up to $2.97 a gallon. I'm glad that I filled-up yesterday. Super glad. And today The Hater and I discussed possible future carpooling. If it continues to rise, we'll be going dutch soon. I'll try to find Harrison a nice shady spot. I wonder what kind of mileage a moped gets in the city.

No comments: