Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Let the Truth be Known-

Uglyhoma has an ugly little secret.

Perhaps you've heard of the much touted University of Oklahoma football team. The Hater says the Sports Animal, a local radio station, plays lots of air-time to OU Football, OU anything. Occasionally they'll mention that Oklahoma State University has sports programs, too.

So last night I ask The Hater again why OU's mascot is the "Sooner". He explained to me that the wagons that people rode in during the land rush were lighter-weight, so they'd get there 'sooner' than the people in the heavy wagons.

Sure. Whatever. The mighty Conastogas! (I played the Oregon Trail on floppy disk when I was little; I remember the importance of a light-weight wagon when you're fording a river. And if you pick the banker instead of the farmer you'd have more money to buy supplies. You didn't have to purchase clothes because you'd meet people who would feel sorry for you and give you pelts to wear.)

And tonight I'm at a late work-dinner-meeting-thing, and the speaker asked what a Sooner was at the end of his speech. The room was amused that a Hoosier was interested. (Fresh blood to corrupt and all.)

Then the table where I was sitting started to talk about it. With my newfound knowledge, I explained that I knew why they were called Sooners -- because of the light-weight wagons. I felt very sure about my answer. After all, The Hater wouldn't set me up with false info.

Then they laughed.

Not a little chortle, mind you. They laughed like they really enjoied it.

And then they explained to me that during the land run the Sooners were the people who scouted and staked their land while everybody else was at the start line. "They were the early birds!" (Like the old couple in the movie 'Far and Away'.)

Wait, I said. They cheated?

Oh, no, they said. They didn't cheat. They just started before everybody else and got there Sooner. They seemed very sure and proud of their answers.

The Sooners left before everybody else, the honest people who waited for the shot that signaled it was time to go stake their land. They cheated. That makes Sooners cheaters.

I understand now. Sooners are cheaters.

This amuses me. I'll get plenty of mileage out of it.

I think tomorrow I'll wear some of my TN Vol scrubs to work. Then when I'm asked about why they're called the Volunteers, I'll tell them it's because of the citizens of the grand state who volunteered to fight and die in 1812. Then I'll mention the Alamo and the brick wall on the West corner of the LBG square that lists all of the names of the people who followed Davy Crockett. And that we have a legacy of honor and pride and patriotism, for doing the right thing and supporting our neighbors.

Not because we cheated when they were giving out free land.

(Does anybody really have to ask why they would give away land in this state?)

No comments: