Thursday, March 19, 2009

but can you prove it?

Here's a rundown of a conversation The Hater and I had last week during a commercial break.  I was pestering him and kissing (pecking, really) his neck where he's ticklish:

g:  Hey, guess what.  (How most of our conversations start...)
TH:  What?
g:  I read a study today that said men prefer to kiss open-mouthed and women prefer to kiss closed mouth.  They think men prefer open-mouth kisses because it lets them pass testosterone to the woman, which is supposed to help her sex drive. *
TH:  (laughs)
g:  Which do you prefer?
TH:  I don't know.  Stop tickling me.
g:  And the study also said--
TH:  You read a lot of studies.  I bet you come home at least once a week and start a conversation with "I read a study today that said..."  (laughs again)  That makes you a nerd.
g:  You read a lot of law reviews for your work; I read a lot of studies for mine.
TH:  I know you do.  It's okay that you're a nerd.
g:  Thanks.  It's okay that you're a nerd, too.
TH:  Our kid has no chance, do they?
g:  Nope.  They're destined to a life of nerddom.

Since then I've had a lull in the number of studies I've had to read.  The Hater has pointed out to me that I've not shared any other random bits of information since we had that conversation.  I told him it was partly because I was embarrassed and didn't want to flaunt my nerdiness, but it was also because I really had nothing to report.

Until today.

Believe it or not, I have another random study to report about the benefits of masturbation.  When working today I read a study about ways that men can reduce their risk of prostate cancer.  Apparently masturbation, especially when done during their 20s, can help protect men from developing prostate cancer later.  Here's a link with the juicy details, pun intended:  http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3072021.stm

I wouldn't dare say that one study is enough evidence to support making major life changes, adding specific mineral or vitamin supplements, or altering kissing styles.  However, these things amuse me and I simply must share them.

They still leave some questions in my head: **
  1. Why wasn't there some kind of booth on Career Day that talked about getting involved with random research studies?
  2. How does one write a grant proposal for such randomass topics?

*  Here's the scoop I can remember on that kissing study:  Kissing unleashes chemicals that ease stress hormones in both sexes.  It also encourages bonding in men, but not so much in women.  They think it comes down to chemicals in the saliva.  The researchers had two test groups - a group that held hands, and a group that smooched.  Testing was done before and after the intervention.  Both groups had noted decrease in cortisol (your body's stress hormones), but the kissing group had remarkably lower results.  So, when you're really stressed out, you should consider smooching to help decrease your stress.  The end.  (For the life of me I can't find the study to link to it here.  My bad.  For the record, I'm about 98% certain this was an American study.)

** (arguably the entire purpose of any hypothesis formation and testing)

1 comment:

Cerulean Bill said...

I suspect you can take any random concept -- eating doughnut holes with powdered sugar leads to increased ability to see in the dark -- and somewhere, someone has come to that conclusion. Or that it will kill you, or both.