Saturday, January 05, 2008

reaching for perfection



This may not look like much, but in fact it's my #1 absolute favorite dish from home: Nana's Chicken on Eggbread*

The Hater heard me rave about Nana's Chicken on Eggbread for several years before he ever tasted it himself. It was true-- it was as good as I promised it would be. We've poured over the pages in Nana's cookbook several times, usually ending with shaking heads, doubting our culinary prowess could takle such a monumental taste explosion.

We only do our adventurous cooking on the weekend, when we can take our time and not get rushed. We'd had this recipe for a while and not tried it because it looked hard. Nana said it wasn't, but it looked hard on paper. The other problem is that Nana's recipes say "use flour, salt, and broth" without any measurement indicators... and I really didn't feel domestic enough to guess how much of each thing I needed... until today.

We decided quickly that Nana is more efficient in the kitchen than we are. But as you can see, we still managed to turn up a blue-ribbon try. Ladies and Gentlemen... we are so very close to matching Nana's recipe that it's worth a blog post to brag about it. And the best part is that we have leftovers in the fridge to enjoy again!

I think the only reason it was so good was because I was wearing a PLC shirt while I was cooking. Those vibes make for moistest cornbread you've ever tasted.

* AKA: Kleeman's Chicken on Eggbread (Nana's is different and way better because she cuts the chicken up and puts it in the sauce!)

* The Hater says in the hierarchy of home food, this recipe is trumped only by the cornbread dressing recipe. I beg to differ. This is the best recipe for a meal without question. The best non-meal recipe is Nana's pumpkin chiffon pie, which will be another weekend adventure when we get the nerve to try it.

3 comments:

Molly Jane said...

Oh man that looks good. I demand that you make this for me when I come to visit.

Arielle said...

That didn't look too good at first, just from the picture, but after a few seconds and reading thru, it seems edible. I love cooking by Nanas. My Nana has awesome stuff like that too. Enjoy your hard work. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello, are you there and ok? VolMom